Saturday 6 January 2007

Sparkles of light in dark times

I think it is safe to say we all go through some 'dark times' in our lives, as it is just the way of life. There are ups and there are downs, but I believe it's what we do afterwards that counts. We can create beauty from the darkness. We can learn from it and shine a light to help others who may be going through something similar. Then it hasn't been wasted.
Not that I think it ever would be wasted. I am a great believer in the school of thought that says before we come to earth, we choose lessons to learn that will help us grow. I don't think suffering is an a priori necessity for growth, because deep down we are all pure, bright souls, but I think that pain can be a great catalyst. A 'dark night of the soul' can show us how strong we truly are deep down within. We may sometimes feel it, but we are never alone. We are being guided and protected every step of the way.
I once had a profound dream that gave me the very answer I was looking for. I had been going through a bad time and I was desperate for some answers as to why this was happening to me. You know the sort of feeling, "what have I done to deserve this?" It was before I had come to the realisation that I am in fact a soul on a special, spiritual journey, and that I am amassing lessons and blessings to take back home with me. I just thought life was being dreadfully unfair, because I was a good person.
But I am an even better person now, because of what I learnt about myself during and after this dark time. I found strength I didn't even know I had.
Also, the dream told me something that I will remember forever.
Basically, I went to bed, asking something like- why does this have to happen. Why can't I come out the other side NOW. I just wanted it over!
Photography is a hobby of mine. That night, I dreamt I was standing on a beautiful beach, with pine trees on each side. I was trying to take a photo of the beautiful surroundings, but I was struggling because I couldn't fit it all into the lens. So I kept taking a step back, and another, but no matter how far I stepped back, I could not get the whole beautiful scene into the lens.
I began to hover above the scene, taking on some of those wonderful dream abilities we can often gain. But despite being able to fly I still couldn't fit everything in the picture. In fact, flying allowed me to be able to see even more beauty that I wanted to fit into the lens!
It was at this point, hovering above this beautiful beach with my camera, that a voice said to me: 'you can never see the big picture'.
It could not have been given to me any more clearly than that. My perspective from my limited human stance is just a small, tiny 'camera lens' snapshot of the whole rest of what is going on.
And you know, that dream was right. The dark night of the soul led to a profound awakening for me. I pursued hypnotherapy and then reiki, and by helping myself to learn, grow and find the beauty and the blessings, I equipped myself with the skills to help others- something I'd always wanted to do.
Reiki has been a wonder and a joy to me because it has enhanced this process of growth and learning. It is enabling me to help myself and to help others realise the beauty and the wonder we all hold within. We are all capable of so much more than we realise. But as times are changing and awareness is increasing, let us be thankful that we are part of such an amazing time on earth. A time of growth, learning, beauty and blessings. Where dark nights of the soul are only a small snapshot in an ever increasingly beautiful 'big picture'. Where we all shine like sparkles of light in dark times, and in the bright and beautiful times, shine like bright stars upon those beings who need to find the light. Working together to create a beautiful big picture, that we can only even begin to imagine.

No comments: